FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Airlines sue passenger rights advocate over website
Montreal--November 28, 2012--United and Continental Airlines launch lawsuits against Canadian maintainer of passenger rights advocacy website UnTIED.com for allegedly violating their copyright, trademarks, and privacy of their senior employees.
Untied.com has been exposing abuse of passengers and employees by United Airlines since 1997, making it one of the first consumer advocacy websites on the Internet. The site has collected more than 25,000 passenger complaints against United, along with hundreds of postings from mistreated employees.
Untied.com was founded by Canadian consumer advocate Jeremy Cooperstock, after United Airlines ignored his complaints related to travel with them. Through the site, Cooperstock advises readers on safeguarding their rights, through legal action if necessary.
After 15 years of maintaining Untied.com and being a thorn in the side of the airline, Cooperstock was served with a pile of court papers last week: United and Continental Airlines are suing him both in the Federal Court of Canada and in the Superior Court of Quebec.
Cooperstock denies the airlines' allegations and says that the effectiveness of his site is the real reason for the lawsuits: "They are trying to shut down my site instead of dealing with their problems. If they had put as much effort into improving their service as into these SLAPP-suits, there'd be no reason for the website."
Cooperstock is raising funds through the site to fund his defense. He says he is ready to fight as far as necessary to stand up for consumer rights and protect freedom of speech.
Further details are available from Untied.com/SLAPP
- 30 -
- Jul. 16, 2012: United expresses "concerns" regarding Untied.com.
- Jul. 16, 2012: United requests removal of work contact information for senior employees and change of site logo.
- Aug.-Oct., 2012: Cooperstock adds prominent disclaimers and a pop-up dialog to the site, making clear that his site is not affiliated with the airline, and discouraging readers from misuse of the work contact information for senior airline employees.
- Nov. 19, 2012: United and Continental sue Cooperstock in the Federal Court of Canada and the Superior Court of Quebec.
- Feb. 15, 2013: Quebec Superior Court rules on Cooperstock's motion to dismiss.
- Sep. 27, 2013: Quebec Court of Appeal returns file to Superior Court for a new hearing on motion to dismiss.
- Jun. 3, 2014: Quebec Superior Court rules on Cooperstock's motion to dismiss.
- September 28, 2016, Financial Post
- May 13, 2016, National Post
- April 20, 2016, Financial Post
- April 20, 2016, Aero News Network
- April 19, 2016, Elliott.org
- April 18, 2016, CJAD radio
- April 16, 2016, Loyalty Lobby
- April 15, 2016, CBC News
- April 15, 2016, TVA Nouvelles (in French)
- April 15, 2016, 680 News
- April 15, 2016, Yahoo Dailybrew
- April 15, 2016, Toronto Star
- April 15, 2016, La Presse (in French)
- April 15, 2016, Financial Post
- Nov. 14, 2014, New Yorker
- Aug. 27, 2014, International Law Office
- June 7, 2014, Argent (TVA - French)
- Apr. 14, 2014, Rudy Maxa's World
- Dec. 11, 2013, International Law Office
- Oct. 5, 2013, Rudy Maxa's World
- Oct. 3, 2013, Ontario Civil Liberties Association
- May 2013, Lex Canada: Transportation Notes
- Feb. 28, 2013, Arizona Republic
- Jan. 28, 2013, New York Times
- Jan. 26, 2013, Rudy Maxa's World
- Dec. 24, 2012, SBWire
- Dec. 10, 2012, AirSafe News
- Dec. 6, 2012, The Domains
- Dec. 5, 2012, Domain Name Strategy
- Dec. 1, 2012, Rudy Maxa's World
- Nov. 30, 2012, Toronto Star
- Nov. 30, 2012, Business Insurance
- Nov. 30, 2012, John Oakley - AM 640
- Nov. 30, 2012, Triple Pundit
- Nov. 30, 2012, Iksoperta Desk
- Nov. 30, 2012, Heise (in German)
- Nov. 29, 2012, CBC As It Happens
- Nov. 29, 2012, Huffington Post Canada
- Nov. 29, 2012, Frequent Flier
- Nov. 29, 2012, Kasnter Kim LLP Blog
- Nov. 29, 2012, Knockoff Economy
- Nov. 29, 2012, ABA Journal
- Nov. 29, 2012, Chicago Tribune
- Nov. 29, 2012, Boarding Area
- Nov. 28, 2012, Chicago Tribune
- Nov. 28, 2012, The Consumerist
- Nov. 28, 2012, UPI
- Nov. 28, 2012, Boarding Area